Happy Selection Sunday, folks. The most important date of the college basketball season is upon us. With about 14 hours left until the NCAA Tournament is revealed, the Field of 68 is almost filled. If Penn State or Dayton win their respective conference tournament titles later today, bubble teams across the nation will become even more nervous than they already are. The last two or three days of the major conference tournaments have made the teams going to the Big Dance up in the air, especially the last two spots or so.
For a look at who has helped or hurt themselves in the past couple of days, check out my Poppin’ Bubbles columns at CBSSports.com.
Here's my breakdown of the tournament:
- ACC (3): Duke, North Carolina, Florida State
- Big East (11): Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Louisville, Connecticut, St. John’s, West Virginia, Georgetown, Villanova, Cincinnati, Marquette
- Big Ten (4): Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan State
- Big 12 (5): Kansas, Texas, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Missouri
- Pac-10 (3): Arizona, UCLA, Washington
- SEC (4): Florida, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee
- Atlantic-10 (2): Xavier, Temple
- Mountain West (3): BYU, San Diego State, UNLV
- Colonial (2): Old Dominion, George Mason
- West Coast (1): Gonzaga
Automatic bids from one-bid leagues: 21
That adds up to 59 teams, leaving nine spots still open.
The teams likely to receive bids are:
Therefore, the teams in the mix for those final six bids are:
- Virginia Tech
- Boston College
- Penn State
- Saint Mary’s
- Missouri State
Click here for a complete Bubble Breakdown.
Who gets in? Check out my complete projected bracket at 5:00 PM to find out.